Alright, let me level with y’all for a minute, this particular recipe was one my granny used and it is absolutely AMAZING. Now, the very first time I made this pound cake which is traditionally made in a bundt pan in my family, it was gorgeous! I fell in love with this ‘from scratch’ cake recipe. That being said, the next time I made this cake, well over 50% of the cake was stuck to the pan and I could have cried. I didn’t know what in the world I had done differently than the first time, but guys, it’s the crisco (brand name only) vegetable shortening that I greased the pan with. Take my advice and save yourself the heartache of breaking this beautiful cake, coat the bundt pan with crisco! Now my precious great uncle will be turning 92 in January and he LOVES this pound cake so I’ll definitely be making him one for his birthday! This cake is so gorgeous, fairly simple, and delicious that you can use it for a fancy dinner party or just to have on a cake plate for your family. Had enough of the suspense? Here’s the recipe!
Sour Cream Pound Cake
Recipe Type: Dessert
Prep time: 25-40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
1. 2 sticks of SALTED (yes salted) sweet cream butter
2. 3 cups granulated sugar
3. 8oz sour cream
4. 1/2 tsp baking soda
5. 3 cups all purpose flour
6. 6 eggs
7. 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 325°f
2. For this step, I use my stand mixer but a large mixing bowl and an electric hand mixer would be perfectly fine, mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add the full 8oz sour cream, mix well, sift the baking soda and flour together and add it to the mixture you have IT IS SO SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU ALTERNATE ADDING THE FLOUR AND EGGS!!! ONLY BEAT IN ONE EGG AT A TIME WHILE ADDING FLOUR MIXTURE SLOWLY!
3. Add the vanilla extract in and mix well
4. Make sure you have greased your bundt pan VERY well with the crisco shortening
5. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes
6. While the cake is warm invert your bundt pan to release your cake!