This was one of my ‘it’s not that pretty but they taste good’ recipes. Thankfully, I made these mints for my family’s Christmas party that we had yesterday, so it wasn’t like a huge deal that they weren’t pretty…. but still. So, you know that moment where you realize at midnight that you’ll need something the next day? Well, that was my Saturday night…. I was getting ready for bed and remembered that I didn’t form my cream cheese mints that I had made earlier in the day. If you know me, you already know I was completely unmotivated to do them then but, they HAD to set up enough to transport so, by the time I found my motivation it was already 12:30. I was up until like 5 a.m. making sure that they had set up enough to go in the fridge. The only thing that makes these more difficult that typical cream cheese mints is the chocolate ganache in the center… but that’s the best part! These mints are seriously sooo good, my toddler even loves them. Now, you could NOT make these at midnight and they would actually be pretty and you could even give them as little ‘Christmas candy bags’… is that a southern thing…. Christmas candy bags? Anyway, we do some things in the south that I’m sure are completely weird everywhere else in the world but, the Christmas candy bags are like things we give our family, friends, and neighbors as like small ‘thank you’ like gifts. Enough about the candy bags, these mints are actually pretty easy, obviously they’re just time consuming, but it isn’t really constant work, so they’re not too bad. As far as actual candy making goes, these are DEFINITELY entry level. You can’t judge my picture, it was 5 a.m. when I took it, so, just learn from my mistake. Ready? Let’s make some mints!!
Cream Cheese and Chocolate Christmas Party Mints
Serves: makes approx. 80 mints
1. 2- 8oz blocks softened cream cheese
2. 4 tbsp softened butter
3. 6 cups of powdered sugar
4. 3 tbsp cornstarch
5. 2 tsp of peppermint extract
6. Food color, amount will vary depending on color you desire and what type of food color used.
7. 8 oz bag of chocolate chips
8. 1 cup of heavy cream
1. Using a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese with half the powdered sugar until completely combined
2. Add the peppermint extract and food color, mix until combined
3. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and corn starch until a dough forms
4. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes
5. Using a spoon or cookie scoop, form small balls with the dough and make a well in the center of each one
6. Let the dough sit out while you make the chocolate ganache
7. In a heat proof container, microwave 1 cup of heavy cream for 1 minute, pour over chocolate and whisk until creamy and completely combined
8. Using a small spoon or a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, scoop chocolate ganache into the well of each mint
9. Let the mints firm up on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour then refrigerate for at least 1 hour covered
10. Serve room temp or cold, refrigerate what’s left!