Well, here we are, Thursday afternoon, I have NO idea where today went. I finally have a second to breathe now that my daughter decided to nap, so naturally I procrastinate adulting and write a new blog post, but hey, sometimes I just need to not be an adult. Let me tell y’all about this recipe, when I first saw a version of this on Pinterest, I was SO excited. My husband and I decided to try to ease into the Ketogenic diet, surprisingly it’s going okay. The problem I have with diets is that it requires a lot of effort to cook healthy food, right? WRONG! This is one of the easiest recipes I’ve made that’s actually good for us, not to even mention that it tastes amazing! The ‘taste amazing’ part will become more obvious when I tell you that I didn’t even get a picture of this, I know, it’s bad, but, it didn’t even occur to me to take a picture until it was alllll gone! Now, I mentioned in my last post how much I love my instant pot, I love every single thing about this thing! The sauté setting is what I used for the topping part of this recipe, but, I’ll get to all that in a minute. Pretty much my entire family, with the exception of my dad and husband, has had the flu, ummm, YUCK, I had it two weeks ago and my mom, aunt, uncle and little cousin have ALL had it this week. With all that info y’all can imagine that none of us felt much like eating anything. Anyway, Tuesday night I made this for dinner, and, yesterday I took the leftovers to my parents house because I know that my mom didn’t feel like cooking, and my dad had to work. I know what you’re thinking, I’m the worlds best daughter, and who am I to tell you differently? Just kidding, I can say with confidence though that I am my parents favorite daughter, and it’s not just because I’m the only, right guys? HA! All jokes aside though, my dad FaceTimed me last night to tell me how much he LOVED the food I had brought over and when I told him that it was actually good for him he liked it even more. This dish has the perfect amount of spice in it to not set your mouth on fire kind of spice. There are a ton reasons why I love this recipe but, the main one is that it really isn’t a recipe, it’s not set in stone and it’s mostly suggestions. So, I think I’ve rambled enough, I’ll give you my suggestions for this dish in recipe form!
Cheesy Taco Casserole
1. 2 cups cauliflower rice
2. 1 egg
3. 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
4. 1 tbsp cumin
5. 4 tsp salt
6. 1 can white shoepeg corn
7. 2 cans of rotel tomatoes- drained
8. 1 can of black beans- drained
9. 2-3 cups of Mexican style cheese
10. 1 package of your favorite taco seasoning
11. 1 pound of ground beef
12. 1 medium red onion
1. Microwave cauliflower rice for 2 minutes let stand for 5 minutes and drain excess water off with a towel or cheese cloth
2. Combine cumin, egg, cauliflower, 1/2 of parmesan cheese, 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese and 2 tsp salt
3. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray, and press the cauliflower mixture and bake for 20 minutes at 425°F
4. While the crust is baking, chop the red onion and sauté until translucent, add ground beef, crumble and brown
5. After the ground beef is browned, add in the canned ingredients, taco seasoning, salt to taste, the remainder of the parmesan cheese and about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (you may have to add some cornstarch to thicken depending on preference)
6. Take the crust out of the oven and add the ground beef mixture, and top with remaining shredded cheese
7. Bake again until all the cheese on top is melted and enjoy!
I like to serve this with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt on the side, the cornstarch note is based on preference!