Ahhh, summertime. Lately, here in Tennessee, it’s been raining and storming every day for 5 days, and let me tell y’all how miserably hot and humid it is today…. phew, it’s SO flippin hot outside. So, naturally I’m especially thankful for my working air conditioner, and with that, this is definitely not the time that I want my kitchen to be heated up from cooking inside. Also, I absolutely love grilling out, thankfully, my husband doesn’t cook, so, I get to be all alone outside relaxing and grilling up some dinner. I’m also a huge fan of cold salads, like pasta salad, tomato and cucumber salad, etc. for the side dishes, they’re super easy and yummy! Now, another thing I love is grilled veggies like yellow squash, zucchini, and mushrooms with some olive oil, salt and pepper in one of those handy grill skillets like this one, these things makes my life SO much easier. Now, you can also skewer the meat (I use steak and chicken) and if you’re doing that, these are the ones I use and absolutely love them!! Now that I’ve rambled about all the technical stuff, how about the recipe!
Simple Summertime Grilled Meal
1. 2- 6oz sirloin steaks or steaks of your choice
2. 2-3 large chicken breasts
3. 1 tbsp dijon mustard
4. 1 tbsp soy sauce
5. 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
6. 1-2 cloves of minced garlic
7. 2 tsp onion powder
8. 1 tsp ground cumin
9. 4-6 whole mushrooms (sliced)
10. 2 yellow squash (sliced)
11. Large drizzle of olive oil
12. 1/2 tbsp salt
13. 1/2 tbsp black pepper
14. 1/2 cup full-fat buttermilk
1. Slice steak and chicken into cubes
2. Mix mustard, buttermilk, soy sauce, cayenne, garlic, 1 tsp onion powder, and cumin together to create a marinade for the steak and chicken.
3. Place the meat and marinade in a plastic zipper close bag
4. In a large bowl, mix sliced veggies, olive oil, 1 tsp onion powder, salt, and pepper together
5. Pre-heat the grill, in the meantime, place the meat on skewers and get your grill pan ready
6. Grill the veggies until softened and grill the meat to desired temp. I do recommend at least 165° for the chicken.
Enjoy your simple dinner and happy summer!!